Monday, October 25, 2010

Theology of Predestination

MUSINGS ON THEOLOGY AND PREDESTINATION, PART ONE

Dear Rich,

Recently we had some vigorous exchanges about theology and predestination. Then everything went silent. I thought it would be helpful for me as well as you to record some of my musings on theology and predestination in order to clarify any misunderstandings.

To say that I have not been influenced by others in the formation of my theology would be both dishonest and stupid. I have graduated from Berean Bible School, Wheaton College, Wheaton College Graduate School, Gordon Divinity School (now Gordon Conwell Seminary), Fuller Theological Seminary, and attended Westminster Theological Seminary. I have taught Bible and Theology and studied books to prepare my courses. I have written books on theology. Of course! Others have played their part in shaping my theology, but I am Pennsylvania Dutch and a bit stubborn. I struggle in accepting other people’s thoughts unless I am persuaded by Scripture and I can be very slow in this. I want to submit only to the clear teachings of Scripture. My own theology has been largely shaped over the years through my reading and reading and reading of Scripture. Perhaps that explains in part why I am still in the process of developing a personal understanding of Scripture at the age of 74. It takes a life time to reinvent the wheel.

I notice that Scripture is not a SYSTEMATIC theological treatise. Men have sought to construct a system of theology but I have resisted “systems” of theology from the first day I heard of this in the early 1950s. Of course I must admit that even I have a “system” of theology with a coherent set of beliefs. But I prefer Biblical Theology to Systematic Theology because Scripture is not so clear at certain points. I live with paradoxes and mysteries without feeling a need to develop a tightly reasoned, logically coherent system of theology that makes rational sense but which is based on specious interpretations of Scripture. Where Scripture is not clear, let us accept this lack of clarity instead of foisting our logical clarity on it.

I begin my study of Scripture with total confidence in its absolute authority and inerrancy. Jesus, whom I have accepted as my Lord and Savior, clearly teaches his supreme confidence in the truthfulness, reliability and final authority of Scripture (Mt. 5:17-18; Jh. 17:17). Since he is my Lord, I bow to his wisdom. The apostles also taught the authoritative inspiration of Scripture (II Tim. 3:16).

To be continued in Part Two

No comments: