Sunday, January 30, 2011

MY CALLING: Samplings from my Autobiography

MY CALLING, Part One: Samplings from my Autobiography

In these tidbits of my life’s story I will tell how the Lord called me to be a missionary.

When I was twelve years old, we moved to Mt. Carmel in the anthracite coal regions of Pennsylvania where my dad pastored the Mennonite Brethren in Christ Church. Incidentally, my grandfather (mother’s dad) had pastored there many years before.

In our church we would participate in round-robin missionary conferences for a whole week over two Sundays. Certain missionaries would circulate among these cooperating churches most evenings of the week. During that week we would take pledges for giving to missions. Our church always did very well with numbers of generous folk. We had owners of two dairies attending, bankers and other white collar workers as well as numbers of miners who of course were union workers. During Sunday School we had a “dollar stretch” in which each Sunday School class competed against each other to bring the most money for missions. The Sunday School Superintendent was a banker and arranged to bring dollar bills to exchange for higher denominations and change. These dollars were then pinned together with a straight pen. Each class brought their contribution which was then pinned to the others. These dollars were then “stretched” around the sanctuary with people holding up this chain of dollars stretching around.

My parents would entertain the missionaries in our home, not only during the missionary conference but whenever missionaries came throughout the year. Missions were an important emphasis. I well remember sitting with them around the dining room table and listening to them talk. I was fascinated with the displays of curios placed on tables in the church. God continued to deepen my heart for missions through this exposure to missions.

Our church participated in Mt. Carmel School District’s Release Time Classes for religious instruction. Kids would leave their schools one afternoon a week and walk to the church of their choice where they received religious instruction. I well remember it was through Release Time Classes that I memorized the Apostles’ Creed which we never recited in our church. Every summer my dad also led the two week long Vacation Bible School. Our church was filled with kids. When I became older I would help by teaching the younger children.

Continued in Part Two

No comments: